Our Story

JCC Mission Statement
To lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.

Charles and Florence Personeus arrived in Juneau in the gold rush days with a message of God's love for Alaskans. Thanksgiving Day 1917, Bethel Pentecostal Mission, Alaska's first Pentecostal mission, opened in a South Franklin saloon, which was closed due to Prohibition.  A storefront building on Main Street served as the church building beginning in 1929. To accommodate new growth the new pastors, Ralph and Bertha Baker constructed a building in 1940 on the corner of 4th and Franklin. In 1955 once again the growing church needed a bigger venue. A new church building was built at the edge of town, on the waterfront on Glacier Highway.  When construction on Egan Expressway began a new site was needed. A larger beautiful sanctuary was built in 1965 across from the old church at 4th and Franklin.

The church also purchased the building across the street for offices, a bookstore, coffeehouse and additional classrooms.  George and Betty McNeven and their family pastored the church from 1974 to 1985. Pastor McNeven had a vision for a Christian school and a desire to relocate in order to be able to expand the ministry of Bethel Christian Center. In 1977 eleven acres were purchased for the new 34,000 square foot facility. The building was finished in 1978 and Juneau Christian School was established in that same year.  Senior pastors Mike and Deenie Rose arrived in 1987 with their two sons.

The church is continuing in the rich tradition of growth and Godly influence in this city. Juneau Christian Center continues to build to facilitate the needs of a growing congregation.  We have completed construction on the HUB, a state of the art youth center, a new children’s sanctuary, 5 new class rooms, and 5 new offices for our children and youth ministries.  Our next phase will include a sanctuary that will seat over 1,100 people, new church offices, a bookstore and cafe.